Opinions learning Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Mon Jun 4 23:14:52 UTC 2007

On Monday 04 June 2007, Chris wrote:
> So now to Ubuntu.  I want learn it...not as much as a user, but more of
> an administrator. Of course I need to learn the user side of it also.
> Understanding and being able to really use the command line/terminal end
> of the OS and getting into the nity grity is important...but I really
> don't know where to start.  Some of the commands that worked in Suse
> don't work in Ubuntu....like the root user being disabled....?
> What do you guys think?
> Chris

Well, I think you're on the right track and in the right place.

You're talking to an old fart (47 yrs in the computer game - - I lied before
when I told someone else it was 45 years...  I hadn't figgered it lately)
and I was an SuSE user for about 8 years.   But I gave up on it when they  a)
stopped turning out a pro product for home users, and b) did their thing with
Novell.

I started using Kubuntu in Jan of this year as a test, and the test went well
so I have now switch 3 machines in this house over to in including one
lap-top.

How about this approach:

1) People have pointed you to some good docs and that is a good thing to do.

2) Suppose you pose your questions each as a single topic here...  and let's
say you limit that to 5 questions at a time so the place doesn't get
overloaded.  We can all attack them.

3) If that doesn't work, we can take it off-line but that's not good because I
think a lot of us would learn from the discussions.

Or any other suggestions people want to make.

When I started with Kubuntu 5 months ago, I too bought a book to learn the
differences...  But it didn't help.  So I just dove in.

For admin, there aren't many differences and once you learn about 4 or 5
commands for updating and maintaining, the rest is pretty easy.

So have at it.