Opinions learning Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Mon Jun 4 21:33:26 UTC 2007

On Monday 04 June 2007, Chris wrote:
>     Also, even though I really like KDE should I learn on Kubuntu or
>         should
>         I concentrate on Ubuntu and then after I have a good idea what
>         I'm
>         doing, then go to Kubuntu/
>
>         I'm an IT professional that is trying to get heavily into
>         Ubuntu/Linux
>         and still having an issue getting a handle on things.

It might help if you filled us in on your background a bit first.   You spent
9 months with SuSE is all we know and you might add how well you did with
that.

All linux's are pretty much the same, just the admin parts usually differ a
bit.

As far as Ubuntu or Kubuntu, they are the same except for the Window manager.

Kubuntu uses your favorite KDE and Ubuntu uses Gnome.

So if you pick Kubuntu, you'll have KDE and can learn the behind the scenes
things beyond that.  The behind the scenes stuff is very much the same across
all *ubuntu's.

The big difference you will find is that SuSE used RPM's to install packages.
Ubuntu uses .deb packages.  Pretty much the same result, just different
commands needed to do the job(s).