Oops! (Re: Repair Grub Files?)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jun 4 13:54:27 UTC 2007

Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 11:37:45 -0400
> Bruce Marshall <bmarsh at bmarsh.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 03 June 2007, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> > I get the same using "xhost" or "sudo xhost" but "sudo -i" and "sudo
>> > su" don't work:
>>
>> Try  xhost  +

Ack!  Heavens no.  We're just trying to confirm behaviour and figure out why
Peter's config doesn't work as we'd expect.

> Yes, of course this will work - what is puzzling is the fact that on
> Feisty, starting kate or indeed any X app from a root shell in a user's
> session appears *not* to fail, regardless of "xhost"
>
> The puzzlement is increased by the fact that Derek sees the expected
> behaviour
>
> " root at othello:~# xhost
>  Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>  Xlib: No protocol specified
>  xhost:  unable to open display ":0"  "
>
> I don't - and as far as I know I have not tweaked this at all .

It would probably help if either of us had a clue what really happens
when "xlib" tries to connect to a server :-)

hmmm.  "No protocol specified" gives me a thought (though how it could apply
is beyond me).  I have had the odd problem with apps that want to connect
to a unix socket, and my colleague absolutely can't connect to his nx
server, because they say something about "unix: not found".  So in
my /etc/hosts I have unix as a synonym for 127.0.0.2.  This cleverly tricks
apps trying to connect over unix sockets into using tcp sockets.  I'm sure
it must break something, and it's no doubt inefficient, but it's the only
thing I know that might apply and is probably different between our
systems.
--
derek