Upgrades?

Anthony Gardner cyclewood_ltd at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 4 07:54:56 UTC 2007

... and apt-get is the preferred method of upgrading over aptitude as I believe it deals better with dependencies.

I didn;t mean to write aptitude ;)

Anthony Gardner <cyclewood_ltd at yahoo.co.uk> wrote: not sure about ubuntu server but if it uses adept (kubuntu) or .... not sure of ubuntu's update manager (proabably update-manager) you will be notified and it will take care of everything should you wish to upgrade.

Or, you could use aptitude to upgrade but that requires altering /etc/sources.list.

As for buggering things up ............ I've never had any problems and I do it wireless. I think the best way is through the ethernet though so that your connection is stable.

A lot of people wait to read about people's experiences on the mailing list to see if there are any major problems before taking the leap.

Should yo have problems with an upgrade and you have to do a reinstall, use the alternate iso and then you have more control over the installation.

-Ants

Knute Johnson <knute at frazmtn.com> wrote: How are upgrades done with ubuntu?  If I install ubuntu server 7.04,
when 7.11 comes out, how do upgrade my system?  Are the upgrades
reliable or do they blow up and require complete reloads of the OS?

Thanks,

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...