How do I get LinuxThreads

Santanu Chatterjee thisissantanu at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 04:36:00 UTC 2007

Thanks for the replies.

| Raphael Morcha:
| libpthread is the GNU threading package you might need to support the
| software that links [uses] against libpthread.
|
| sudo apt-get install libpthread20 libpthread-dev

I tried your suggestion. But that did not solve the problem.
As Martens Bram suggested, I too feel that this depends on the
glibc package. After some googling, I figured that linuxthreads
support is provided by glibc (if it is compiled with that support),
and as far as I understand, linuxthreads support is available only
in version 2.3.x or below of glibc.

|  Martens Bram:
|  IIRC this depends on the glibc package installed.  Perhaps you can try
|  to install a different variant (-i686 vs -i386)?

Yes, you are right. But the problem is, as I mentioned above,
glibc 2.3.x or below supports linuxthreads. However, Ubuntu
Feisty (maybe Edgy, too) uses glibc 2.5. So, no linuxthreads support.
Now, Debian Etch uses glibc 2.3. So I thought that the application
might run there, and sure enough, it did run on Etch. Maybe it will
run under Dapper too.

So, my problem boils down to this:
I have glibc-2.5 based system. On this system, how do I install
glibc-2.3 and make it available to certain software (that uses
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 to use linuxthreads instead of NPTL)
_without_ breaking my system.
(I could probably add the Debian Etch repository to my sources.list
file, and try installing glibc-2.3, but I am pretty sure that would
break my system. So I did not try that... yet)

Any suggestions about how do I achieve this?

Regards,
Santanu