FireFox driving me NUTS !!!

Jan Sneep jan at azureservices.ca
Sun Jun 3 02:58:45 UTC 2007

{snip]

> ... as a follow-up, take a look at your /etc/resolv.conf - if you are
> still doing DHCP (and I suspect you are) you might consider going
> static and entering decent resolvers to the file mentioned.

My resolve.conf file contains the following;

# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

nameserver 207.164.234.193
nameserver 206.47.244.135

I don't think I'm doing DHCP with the Ubuntu server ... or I wouldn't be
able to get out on the Internet at all. I have a small LinkSys router and if
the DHCP server inside that box doesn't hand out the address then the
gateway doesn't allow you out. That is the same reason I'm not using a
static IP address for the Ubuntu server as I do want to get out and view
pages and eventually when I have it working get the mail server to retrieve
my emails.

AND the reason I want a GUI is that they are SO MUCH MORE USER friendly than
command line input ... having taken a few courses on User Interfaces and
designed a few myself ... a good interface presents ALL the options to the
user in a simple and logical manner ... command line stuff just doesn't cut
it when you have to KNOW what to type ... :O) ... the other day I wanted to
do the most basic of things ... COPY a file from one folder to another ...
one needs to KNOW that the command is CP, otherwise one can spend hours and
hours doing nothing more than getting frustrated ... :O(

Jan