How to find out what packages are available?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jun 3 00:48:22 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 10:46:27 -0400
"Jan Sneep" <jan at azureservices.ca> wrote:

> > I'm assuming that after a successful search I would do something like;
> >
> > sudo apt-file install workers.properties
> >
> > to actually install the file or get a copy of it?

No - the search just tells you which package(s) contain the file you are
looking for :-)

I just intended to show you how I found it . As you discovered, it was in

$ apt-file search workers.properties
libapache-mod-jk: etc/libapache-mod-jk/workers.properties
libapache2-mod-jk: etc/libapache2-mod-jk/workers.properties
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
/etc/libapache2-mod-jk/workers.properties

which comes with libapache2-mod-jk .

In other words, if you had not installed the  libapache2-mod-jk package,
the next move would have been:

sudo apt-get install ibapache2-mod-jk  ( or the other one - but I assume
you have apache2, not apache 1.3

Hope that clarifies my post for you.....  You didn't *need* to search for
it, since the output in my post from apt-file already told you where it
was ;-)

Peter