Connecting to MySQL using Open Office Base via ODBC...

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Sat Jun 2 22:02:21 UTC 2007

On 06/01/2007 12:23 AM, Gabriel Dragffy wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
>
> I wanted to thank you for such a detailed post. I haven't had time to
> do any of it yet. I'm currently looking for work and being blitzed
> with interviews. Perhaps this coming weekend I'll have time enough to
> solve my problems.

One thing that I forgot to mention: when you add items such as (O)OOo to
the Applications menu via the Menus|New Item, the Applications menu
doesn't properly handle the path when it contains .'s in it. So, for
example it adds:

/opt/openoffice\.org\2\.\2/program/simpress

rather than the proper path of:

/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/simpress

Therefore, when you go looking to open up an (O)OOo document, in this
example an Impress document from Nautilus, Nautilus won't show your new
(O)OOo in the applications selection. Not to worry, just go back & right
click 'Applications' then click on Edit Menus|Office and then right
click on the (O)OOo application, select properties, and change the path
to the proper structure.

I filed a bug on this awhile ago:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/105674

Note: the bug appeared to have been fixed Feisty, but recent updates
seem to have broken it again & I've not bothered update the bug.

> As for webmin: Personally I've tried it, I prefer the command line.
> Naturally it is another security issue as it's another service
> listening on port 10000(?). I think if you change the default port
> and use good passwords you'll be OK. Should probably start a separate
> thread for that though!

Thanks & yes, one of the first things that I did was change the port
number; I do the same for vnc etc as well.