KMail Crashing Repeatedly and now Won't Open!

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jun 2 13:39:51 UTC 2007

Amichai Rotman wrote:
> I  remembered an old trick - deleting the .idx files for the respective
> folder - and so I did. Now KMail won't start at all. It crashes while
> opening.

There is not only an .idx file, but there are several index files. As you
don't know which of them is making trouble, I suggest to delete all of
them. You can find all of them with

find -type f <path to your mail directory> -name .\*

and if you have checked to only find index files in your mail directory,
you can delete them all with

find -type f <path to your mail directory> -name .\* -exec rm {} \;

And remember, Kmail may take a long time at the next startup for
rebuilding the index files if you have a lot of mail.

Nils