Feisty will not shutdown, reboots instead

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 13:39:26 UTC 2007

On Saturday 02 June 2007 21:26:24 Anders Häggström wrote:
> 2007/6/2, Carl Drud <carl.drud at myrealbox.com>:
> > I am new to Linux/Ubuntu and everything so far has been running
> > smoothly.
> >
> > However in the last couple of weeks I have experienced that sometimes,
> > whenever I want to shutdown, it reboots. At first I thought I just hit
> > the reboot button.
> >
> > Yesterday I tried from a console:
> >
> > $ shutdown -P now
> >
> > It still rebooted.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > --
> > Carl
>
> You copuld try this as root (or put "sudo" in front of the command):
> # shutdown -h now
>
> -P didn't work for me by default but the acion of -h is specified in
> /etc/ somewhere and defaults to turn power off. I don't remember where
> just yet.
>
> // Anders

Hi Carl

By chance you're not using a laptop? I've had that occassionally with mine and
the only way I could power it down was to pull the power cord and put it
back. Then it behaved as expected. Puzzled the hell outta me when it first
happened. Still don't know why it happens, but I know how to remedy it when
it does happen here

James