DVD Playback

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 08:32:26 UTC 2007

On 5/31/07, Wade Smart <wade at wadesmart.com> wrote:
> 05312007 0950 GMT-6 DST
>
> I just tried to play my first dvd on 7.04 and had troubles. Went to the
> starter guide and everything except totem-xine was already installed.
> Totem-xine uninstalled gstreamer actually.
>
> MPlayer shoots out an error right off on opening -
> Error opening/initalizing the selected video_out(-vo) device.

The error message seems to point that mplayer is trying to use
the wrong video device.
If you are using gmplayer (the GUI version) you should go to the
preferences (right click on the program window)
and look for the video device. Maybe the default is to
use Xv and you could do better using X11.
If you are using mplayer look for the same thing through the
flags in "man mplayer" from a terminal.

--Luca