Nat Problem? setup problem?

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Tue Jul 31 18:16:00 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 31 July 2007, David Smith wrote:
> >From inside the network I can surf no problem till...
>
> I enter the domain name or my internet IP address...
>
> Then I get the DSL modem login page.
>
> Anyone know where I should be looking to fix this problem?

You haven't mentioned any addresses (and you don't have to) but I assume you
are using an internal IP address to access apache from your LAN and  the
external IP to access it from the outside.

But trying to go outside and come back in won't work because the DSL modem
knows what its IP address is (the ext address) and is going to intercept the
call right there.

This would work if you set up a static IP like  dyndns.com.   Say at
smith.homelinux.net   so when you call out to that address (which is
different than you current ext address)  dyndns will redirect it to your home
box based on your telling dyndns the current address.