my windows/linux network

cj debiani386 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 17:27:01 UTC 2007

hi all

im having a problem connecting to my windows network via linux. I am not
the admin of this network and it is _not really secured_ as it uses
McCaffee antivirus and Firewall. The mccaffee firewall that we use
doesnt block against incomming network connections.

anyways, when i go to connect, i open a window in konqueror, then in the
address bar i type (for example):

smb://the-name-of-the-pc

or i will give the IP address instead of the computer name.

anyways, i can connect and see the shares, but i cant access them. it
asks for a user name and password. As i said before, this network isnt
really secured and doesnt have any password security.

How do i get around this?

--cj