Sharing files between macbook and ubuntu desktop

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 03:13:42 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-29-07 at 12:20 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> Hi all, I have a ubuntu desktop that I would like my macbook to be able
> to get files off of wirelessly. The desktop is connected to a linksys
> wireless router which the macbook uses. I do not know much(none
> actually) about networking or remote access, but I would like to be able
> to just take files(music movies etc) off the desktop from the macbook.
> Is this possible in a fairly easy secure way? I have been trying to get
> it to work with chicken of the VNC, but I dont really know what Im doing
> in terms of opening ports etc through the firewalls I have(firestarter
> on ubuntu, Mac's firewall on the macbook)

There's lots of ways to do this.
Simplest for a networking newbie is likely this.
Install openssh-server on the ubuntu box.
Install Fugu (it's free) on the Mac Book
Determine the ip address of your ubuntu box (System -> Administration ->
Network Tools -> Devices tab -> choose your ethernet card,  record the
IP address shown - likely 192.168.something.something)
Start Fugu on the macbook and give it that ip address with the user name
and password on the ubuntu box and voila!
Note this is very secure (not eavesdroppable) and pretty safe if you use
good passwords.
Bonus points - for the reverse setup - turn on remote access in your
MacBook system preferences (under Sharing), then use Places -> Connect
To Server -> SSH on your Ubuntu box and fill in your Macbook details.

HTH
Brian