vmware server problems

jack jdangler at terremark.com
Mon Jul 30 21:52:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 16:16 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> I guess today I'm serving as an example to others.  Don't use LVM,
> don't use
> virtual machines unless you're running 6.06.  you see, I've been
> trying to
> install VM Ware server on feisty all day and having zero success.
>
> Canonical "commercial" package: can't use remote console from anywhere
> on the
> local host
> can't build a virtual machines (gets to end of disc allocation and
> then
> complains about virtual machine not being in inventory) and this is
> running as root.
> can't install xinetd.
>
> VM Ware all source package.
> > /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21:
> warning: type defaults to âintâ in declaration of â_syscall1â
> > make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic'
> > make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
> > make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
> > Unable to build the vmmon module.
>
> patched vmware server:
>
> Kind of comes up and runs.  Can't access the remote console because it
> tells me
> something about
>
> Cannot connect to host 192.168.0.14: No connection could be made
> because the
> target machine actively refused it.  Even though I can telnet to port
> and get a
> hello message.
>
> ghod, I hate wasting my time.  yet on the other end of the spectrum, I
> have a
> friend who runs the bleeding edge desktops and does so without any
> injury to
> herself or others.  Go figure.

I've installed vmware-server on Breezy, Edgy, and Feisty (all from
vmware.com) and so far (knock silicon) they've all worked ok...

The way I did it was:
d/l the tarball from vmware, register for the key
d/l the any-any patch

install the s/w...

then add a vm and a guest os...

I don't know what's different about the canonical version or why it
could be causing such heartburn... (or why you wouldn't use the vmware
version)...