vmware server problems

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Jul 30 20:16:19 UTC 2007

I guess today I'm serving as an example to others.  Don't use LVM, don't use
virtual machines unless you're running 6.06.  you see, I've been trying to
install VM Ware server on feisty all day and having zero success.

Canonical "commercial" package: can't use remote console from anywhere on the
local host
can't build a virtual machines (gets to end of disc allocation and then
complains about virtual machine not being in inventory) and this is running as root.
can't install xinetd.

VM Ware all source package.
> /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: warning: type defaults to âintâ in declaration of â_syscall1â
> make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic'
> make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
> make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
> Unable to build the vmmon module.

patched vmware server:

Kind of comes up and runs.  Can't access the remote console because it tells me
something about

Cannot connect to host 192.168.0.14: No connection could be made because the
target machine actively refused it.  Even though I can telnet to port and get a
hello message.

ghod, I hate wasting my time.  yet on the other end of the spectrum, I have a
friend who runs the bleeding edge desktops and does so without any injury to
herself or others.  Go figure.