Older Computers

Anthony M Simonelli a.simonelli at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 28 20:08:57 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 11:45 -0400, Pete Holsberg wrote:
> Brian Fahrlander keyed the following on 7/28/2007 11:30 AM:
> > Pete Holsberg wrote:
> >> I'm thinking about trying to convince the people in my over-55 community
> >> to think of Linux when they buy their next computer.
> >>
> >> Is it safe to say that all 2007 desktop computers with wired Ethernet
> >> will have no problems with (K)Ubuntu?
> >>
> >> Is it safe to say that even older ones with wired Ethernet will have no
> >> problems?
> > This is being written on my newest computer- a 1200 mHz Athlon with
> > 512M of memory. In the Windows world, it's a clay tablet, but in Linux,
> > it's luxury. My other computers go as far back as 10 years. Yeah,
> > almost every computer you'll run into can run Linux, on the salvage-PC
> > market. The machine upstairs only cost $30. (!)
> >
> > Original Pentiums (586's) are too far back for desktop use, but
> > anything P2 and newer will meet all the non-gaming needs of most
> > everyone. (Email, browsing, printing/editing documents, etc)
> >
> > Find a salvage center; they'll have all the parts you need, and most
> > of them have Linux pre-installed, since they recognize the value of
> > Linux, too. And the parts are both cheap AND road-tested. :)
>
> Never heard of a salvage center!

I think it's another name for a store that sells re-furbished PCs.
These are PCs that have been thoroughly tested with little cosmetic
damage.  We frequently purchase PCs at the following website at my
company:

http://www.discountpc.net

Usually the hard disks are wiped clean and it doesn't come with any
original media but just the COA sticker; perfect for a fresh install of
Ubuntu!  These PCs generally range in the 1 to 2 Ghz range, 512MB RAM
and are well under $300.  One example right now there is a Dell Optiplex
GX240 - P4 1.5 GHz - 512MB - 40GB Hdd for only $145.00.  Can't bet that!