Older Computers

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at schoenhaber.de
Sat Jul 28 16:01:16 UTC 2007

Pete Holsberg wrote:

> I'm not going to be able to get a senior citizen to buy a new computer
> with Vista and then consider dumping Vista for [K]Ubuntu!!

Interesting. I obviously don't know how things are at your place. But
where I live it would be a very difficult task to go to some local
computer vendor and buy a machine without Windows pre-installed.
One could not accept the EULA and try to get the price for the Windows
copy refunded, though.
But I don't understand why the requirement that a new machine must not
come bundled with Windows prevents you from testing the machine with the
Ubuntu Live CD.

However, Dell is selling some machines with Ubuntu pre-installed (at
least in the USA AFAIK). Maybe you want to consider that.
Moreover, a look at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport
might give you additional pointers.

Regards