Older Computers

SteVe Cook yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 28 14:54:13 UTC 2007

Pete Holsberg wrote:
> I'm thinking about trying to convince the people in my over-55 community
> to think of Linux when they buy their next computer.
>
> Is it safe to say that all 2007 desktop computers with wired Ethernet
> will have no problems with (K)Ubuntu?
>
> Is it safe to say that even older ones with wired Ethernet will have no
> problems?

Yes no maybe. :-)

It isn't a safe claim to make for any computer/operating system
combination.
A better statement would most would have no problems
I recently thought I had a duff NIC and swapped it into another machine,
where it promptly worked.  The other card worked in it's new host.  When
swapped back the suspect card would be detected again. so I reversed
them and let it be as they both worked.  Where the conflict was I don't
know as both machines were 'identical'.

The best idea is to use the live CD and see if every thing is detected.

SteVe