lost cd/dvd

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 01:42:30 UTC 2007

Hi Guys

I seem to have a slight prob as of my last update on my other laptop. The
specs for the laptop are at
http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1660&l1=5&l2=26&l3=316&l4=0
I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 64 bit alternate version.

what has happened is that after the online updates I've lost the ability to
read dvd's and cd's. I can boot from cd's and dvd's (and win vista reads them
as well) so the drive is working fine

i did a dmesg | grep CD and got

[   0.000000] ACPI: ECDT (v001 A_M_I_ OEMECDT 0x000717 MSFT 0x00000097) @
0x000000003ffa0620

if I do a more /proc/partions i get 6 listed, i.e. sda, sda1 - 5

this is getting annoying at the moment as when I try to dload anything via
synaptic package manager it's asking for my install disk. And since it no
longer is able to read it, it fails to dload anything from the repositories
which means I can't even get libc6-dev in order to install the nvidia driver

any ideas?

James