Userguide not working for me

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 27 21:07:47 UTC 2007

Hi All,
This dummy still having issues with  Unofficial Ubuntu
7.04 (Feisty Fawn) Starter Guide at
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_add.2Fedit.2Fdelete_system_users
Following instructions as suggested, adding commands
literally as suggested, but they are not working as
follows:(Note: this on samba server part)

lchata at ubuntu:~$ sudo smbpasswd -a system_username
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to modify password entry for user
system_username
lchata at ubuntu:~$ sudo useradd lchata
useradd: user lchata exists
lchata at ubuntu:~$ sudo smbpasswd -a system_username
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to modify password entry for user
system_username
lchata at ubuntu:~$

Why doesn't this work if the commands are to be
entered literally as written in the guide????
Also have done a complete removal of samba and related
programs using synaptic and a new install, then  I
found the /etc/samba dir totally empty. Strange. And
also would get this output every time using sudo:
lchata at ubuntu:/etc/samba$ sudo smbpasswd -a
system_username
sudo: cannot get working directory
Password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to modify password entry for user
system_username
lchata at ubuntu:/etc/samba$
Fixed this after googling with a simple cd on konsole.
I don't think anyone should have this kind of trouble
especially one who has had a fair amount of success
solving his own linux issues of late and it seems to
be only with the samba suite.
I would be happy to follow this guide to get samba
working but it crosses me at every turn. Hey, must be
doing something wrong, but what?
Currently smb.conf and gdbcommands are the only two
files in /etc/samba.
Thanks for any advice,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net