How to re-set grub after installing Vista?

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:05:21 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a dual boot system with Windows XP and Ubuntu Feisty. I am thinking
of upgrading the Windows partition to Vista but can't remember the procedure
for re-setting / recovering grub.

Right now the partitions are set up as follows:

/dev/hda1          NTFS        (bootable)
/dev/hda2          ext3
/dev/hda3          swap

/boot/grub/menu.lst has this:

title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-386
root            (hd0,1)
kernel
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386root=UUID=d7c6e3c9-7b1b-4c39-8c25-68ba894cfb69
ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386

title           Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root            (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader     +1

Is this correct:

1. boot into XP, upgrade to Vista, let it proceed until it is all finished
2. boot a live Ubuntu CD, make sure that my current Feisty partition is
mounted, chroot into that partition, move into the /boot/grub directory
3. enter the command "grub-install /dev/hda"

I am not sure about step #3 there, if it is correct and if there is anything
else I need to do. I really don't want to mess up anything about my Feisty
partition.

Thanks,

Craig