ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 35, Issue 200

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 27 04:59:56 UTC 2007

> > From: NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:59:25 -0700
> Subject: Re: Default SMB.CONF?, Ubuntuguide
> Confusion?
>
> On 07/26/2007 07:48 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > system_username = "network username"
> >
> >     *
> > The above command really blows my mind. I've
> really
> > never seen the smbusers file empty but tried the
> > gksudo gedit commands and the file was populated
> just
> > as using nano. but what's really baffling me is
> the
> > line:
> > system_username = "network username"
> > They are the same aren't they????  Why all the
> geek
> > kyrpto crap. If an example was given in these
> cases it
> > wouldn't be so bad. Other places in the guide had
> > examples.  Why don't it just say add 'username"
> and
> > stop confusing the newbies or am I missing
> something.
> > Some clarification plese so I can continue
> starting
> > over with Samba.
> > Thanks for some enlightenment,
>
> That is *exactly* what you put in the file. Nothing
> else, only:
>
> system_username = "network username"

Ok. Hear you loud and clear but you comment doesn't
increase my understanding samba setup any and am still
confused why it's as you say.  Explaining, if not too
much trouble for you, why "network usernam" is
appropriate entry and not one's user name(system
username) would clear my confusion. Thanks for
qualifying the entry "exactly".  I'm just trying to
understand samba and linux some better.
Thanks for the help,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net