ping not resolving names

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 27 02:54:38 UTC 2007

On 07/26/2007 05:19 PM, Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2007 20:49:57 NoOp wrote:
>
>>> This is my ISP DNS. It is operational
>>
>> Thanks I see that it is running dns on 53, but the performance is
>> sporadic. I get:
>
> Now that's interesting. This explains other problems I ocasionally
> have - darn ISP... What command did you issue here?

It's a very old windows program that I use for tracking down spammers...
it's basically a full 'dig' command with options set to query the root
servers, get authoritative server w/verbose & recursion.

man dig

> But still the ping problem is definitely consistent.
>
> I am watching
>
> watch -n 1 ping www.google.com
>
> as it shows "unknown host" every second, never changing.
>
>> when it responds, but then other times it doesn't respond at all.
>> Of course that could be network problems between here and there,
>> but you might want to keep checking it for awhile and or try 14 or
>> 15 in place of 19.
>
> Thanks, I'll trying those for a while. I don't have high hopes this
> is the problem, but
>
> I should add that this problem does NOT occur in my desktop.
>
> Both the desktop and laptop are running feisty, but the laptop is so
> RAM-less (64MB) I only have the patience to run console mode only. So
> I didn't install ubuntu-desktop, just ubuntu-minimal and
> ubuntu-standard, and proceeded manually installing packages I need
> from there.

Now that is interesting. I wonder if the lack of memory is perhaps a
cache/buffer problem. Wouldn't know where to look; except try Synaptics
and do a search on 'dns' and compare the two to see what is installed on
each. I wouldn't worry about the avahi stuff... I blew that out on this
computer when I upgraded to feisty.

> Maybe I'm missing something here? What could possibly be needed for
> ping (and only ping) to resolve hostnames, that's not a dependency of
> ubuntu-*minimal*?

Don't know. Sorry.

Gary