What makes Ubuntu so great?

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 01:53:29 UTC 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 01:26:51 Jimmy Wu wrote:
> Just my two cents:
>
> that Ubuntu is free is great, but I belive joel is looking for what
> separates ubuntu from the myriad other also free distros out there
>
> I think the ubuntu community is one of the biggest reasons for its success.
> Just look at the volume of mails going around on this list alone.  With an
> extensive community comes extensive support for users and developers,
> whether they're total n00bs or have many years of experience.  The fact
> that it's so easy to get questions answered draws people in and helps to
> keep them in (at least speaking for myself).
>
> Another thing is the massive volume of software and packages available for
> ubuntu - it makes it easy to switch to ubuntu, since there's usually a
> replacement or equivalent for anything users switching from other OS's
> might want
>
> I myself have used Windows at home up until a month or two ago, when I
> decided to wipe out Windows and replace it with Ubuntu Feisty.  I have been
> very happy with ubuntu's performance so far, and I'm not really missing
> Windows at all.
>
> Jimmy
>
> On 7/26/07, Matthew Carpenter <matt at eisgr.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 July 2007, Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:
> > > Great CD design and artwork, best of all, it's free.

> > Ubuntu.

> > Ubuntu

> > "supposodly"

> > My reasons:
> > * All Free All the Time  (ie. No 'pay-for' versions)
> >        This is more than just being cheap.  It's about pay-for support
> > benefitting
> > from the experience of the ENTIRE user-base and the Free installs get all
> > the
> > software unhindered
> > * Canonical Support Contracts for corporate environments
> > * Server and Workstation use the same repos, even if they have recently
> > been
> > released using different CDs
> > * KDE and Gnome using the same repos, but targetting install CDs
> > * Debian APT-GET and all the power, flexibility, and userbase that come
> > with
> > it
> > * HUGE repository!  I used to install a base distro then compile from
> > source
> > what I really wanted.  Now, I maybe install one package from outside the
> > repos and it's still a deb package (Webmin)
> > * Debian based (Debian has always been solid, if a little unfriendly to
> > n00bs)
> > * OUTSTANDING Community!  From this list to the Wiki's, the amount of
> > support
> > provided by the users is amazing.  If I think "I wonder how I do this
> > with Linux" I have about a 95% success rate of googling "site:ubuntu.com
> > how do I
> > do X" or "site:ubuntuforums.org how do I do X" and I get a hit which
> > explains
> [...]

Certainly excellent points made. I'll add a lil here. Lilltle or no problems
with maliscious software, i.e. virii, spyware, etc. Which means less or no
need of trying to clean a system overrun by them. I've converted a few
friends to Ubuntu on this alone.

Another is that if you know your way around Windows you can generally get on
in and use Ubuntu straight away without too much effort.

The ease in which it's installed is another plus in my books. Only a few
general Q's are asked for most people using the standard install proceedure
and even first timers find it isn't that hard to install.

The way the root account isn't really used for anything adds to the security
of the system imho coupled with the use of sudo probably making Ububuntu by
default more secure than many othe Linux distros in its default config