Webmin? Good, Bad, Ugly?

Jake Wright unixsuperuser at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 16:45:48 UTC 2007

On 7/25/07, Adam McGreggor <lists at amyl.org.uk> wrote:

> >     Have you seen it lately?  It's been re-vamped.  The menu is now on
> > the side, and I believe it's using CSS to reconfig, but that's just a
> guess.
>
> Seen the latest version in Debian packages, but *grumble*, they're not
> the quickest for throwing out new versions, are they ;)

The official Debian package never worked right for me.  I thought Webmin
sucked until I installed the deb from the Webmin site.

> It looks a bit faux-Windows-control panel for my liking in the
> screen-shots on the site, though.

I like the new skin, and it feels more gmail-ish (only night quite as nice
and more sparse) to me than Windows.  Regardless, its light and fast to
use.  But Stress Free is cool and more Mac-like.  I don't think there are
any that are Gnome-like or KDE-like, so I guess your delicate Linux-only
sensibilities will remain offended.  Maybe you should make one.  :-)

I want to see more AJAX in the UI, though.

> Webmin lets me create a small set of commands that are reachable to
> > these guys so they don't accidentally go wandering off into things that
> > could cause trouble, and that's helpful.  I just wish it were more
> secure.
>
> Which, I think is, to me, its selling point...

One of many selling points..  The mysql module is better than phpMyAdmin,
IMHO.  And I'd never get the named.conf syntax right without it.  :-)