TTY vs Terminal

Jimmy Wu jimmywu013 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 14:26:23 UTC 2007

Don't quote me on this, but...

My understanding is that terminal is just a graphical "emulator" of sorts,
providing command-line functionality within a GUI like gnome or kde or
whatever for people who want both a command line and a graphical desktop.
I believe TTY stands for teletype or something like that.  They usually
consisted of a screen (output) and a keyboard (input).  TTY's were used in
the stone ages of computing, when the only computers people could use were
huge, expensive mainframes owned by large organizations with lots of money,
like corporations and universities.  Obviously,the average person couldn't
own one of these beasts, so the only way they could access mainframes was
through timesharing and terminals on TTY's - the user sat at the (text-only)
TTY terminal and typed commands, which were sent to the mainframe computer
that did all the work (processing the commands and sending back a
response).  One mainframe was usually connected to multiple terminals
(TTY's), and many people could logon simultaneously, which is where the term
timesharing came from.  Of course, all this became obsolete with the rise of
personal computers.

Jimmy