Something strange in my logs!!!

Njoku, George O. njokug at winthrop.edu
Tue Jul 24 13:52:15 UTC 2007

Hello Nichola,

This could be tedious but it could help you find out more. It’s a mail server so I wouldn't suggest disabling the NIC (if you do ...it will be great) Then I would do a ...

# find / -ls -printf %AD   (will show you files and creation/modified date)
# find / -mtime 5 (will show you files modified 5 days ago)
# find / -atime 5 (will show you files accessed 5 days ago)
# find / -lname "*" ( will show you links....crackers always create links to actual execs)

Of course you can mix up

# find / -lname "*" -mtime 5

-----------tedious manual forensics------------------

Then I would monitor packets leaving and entering that isn't port 25 (your mail)
Both from server then another box which is on Local network.

# tcpdump -v -i <device> port ! 25

See what comes up....check for discrepancies. But mind you, these might just be a false alarm. Maybe software bugs maybe the cause.

Cheers
George