Thanks Ubuntu + XSane - HP Photosmart SCSI Scanner

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 24 02:10:56 UTC 2007

Just wanted to pass along a thanks to Ubuntu & the XSane folks. Most
often here we get reports that many scanners aren't working in Ubuntu;
well I'd like to pass along a report on one that does :-)

I had an old HP Photosmart SCSI scanner in the junk closet that I'd used
previously with Windose. However the SCSI card blew and of course I blew
out Windose some time ago, so I'd forgotten about the scanner. It was a
fine scanner in it's time; scans slides, negatives, 4x5's.

Recently (today) I was working on an old project from my Vietnam days &
for one part of the project the only media that I could find were some
old negatives that I'd saved. I didn't have much luck scanning the
negatives at the quality that I wanted via a flatbed scanner, so I
dusted off the HP Photosmart and plugged it into the SCSI (Initio 360P)
on my old Presario 5670 running Feisty 7.04. Rebooted, brought up the
XSane scanner driver & presto! XSane instantly recognized the scanner on
the SCSI, the negatives scanned in perfectly, and I now have some super
photos from 1971 & 1972 to contribute to the project.

I am indeed a *very* happy guy right now :-) My only complaint is; now
that I've discovered that the scanner works w/Ubuntu & XSane (plus GIMP
etc), I'll spend the next many days scanning in all of the negatives
from days long past... but thats quite OK with me. :-)

Thanks Ubuntu developers and contributors & thanks XSane/Sane folks!