Long Time Samba No Work-Need Expert Help On Samba/Networking

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 23 05:42:49 UTC 2007

> On 07/20/2007 09:43 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Hi All, I have a 2 computer LAN using a 2Wire
> 1701HG Gateway/DSL
> > Modem with one WinXP machine connecting to gateway
> via Linksys
> > WMP54Gv4 wlan adapter and the other Ubuntu machine
> connected directly
> > via 3Com 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone] (rev 34) NIC.
> The system works
> > near perfectly as individual machines but don't
> talk to each other.
> > Although, I did the actual setups on the two
> machines, I had hand
> > holding help from a Debian friend and a WXP
> friend. My suspicions are
> > that the network or Samba is not set up properly.
> I've spent many
> > hours over weeks googling, reading finds and
> manuals, trying
> > solutions that may have made matters worse and
> have got to the point
> > that don't know what to do/try next.  Haven't
> specified any Domain
> > Name for the system and believe that's
> unnecessary.  Using DHCP but
> > my IPs never change.  Haven't attempted to
> reinstall the wlan card or
> > network as not confident in my abilit y to do so.
> All the above FYI.
> > My symptoms are:
> >
> > Can't map network drives on WinXP. I click on "map
> network drives"
> > and enter on the popup:
> >

> I suggest two things:
>
> 1. Start over using the instructions here:
>    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty [Samba
> section]

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#Samba_Server

Ok, I'll take a look at those to see what I may have
dove wrong. I may have seen and followed those
instructions before but if not I will certainly do so
cuz googling and reading manuals is giving me water
retention and high blood pressure and hasn't provided
any solutions.  May be it's just what I'm looking for
and hope it's in human readable terms.

> 2. Address any further replies to
> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> In your msgs to Karl you are sending directly to
> Karl and cc'ing the
> list. When you do this others cannot reply as your
> email is set to reply
> only to your address directly:
> Cc: User Mail List-Ubuntu
> <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> To: Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au>
> Swap the above & CC Karl if you want, but reply to
> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Really now,your can't change the reply to: address?
Well, I can and I know you can too.  You must have
ment to say it's just too inconvient to do so. Don't
mean to start an argument and I'll do as you request.
You have helped me out before and I most certainly
appreciate it very much. Realize that Karl elected to
contact me off list and I decided to copy the list
just in case some other networking/samba dummy like me
might benefit from it. Next time I'll send it to the
list amd copy the sender.

> Try the instructions in #1 above & if that doesn't
> work then please post
> back (ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com :-).

I will.  Am determined to use samba and file sharing
and with the help of the list I'm sure I'll get there
And thanks for the links. Much appreciated.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net