Long Time Samba No Work-Need Expert Help On Samba/Networking

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Mon Jul 23 00:23:14 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 16:11 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> However, I can ping the WinXP and Ubuntu pcs very
> well.

That's good.

> smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(849)
>   Can't become connected user!

That's odd.

Everything looks OK on your interfaces (ifconfig etc), so I don't think
this is a networking problem as such, especially as "smbclient -L" seems
to work.

If you want to mount your windows data on your linux machine, you don't
need the samba daemons, you just need the appropriate clients. You only
need samba on your linux box if you want to *serve* data to other
machines.

By the way, I noticed that you had not successfully stopped samba at one
point:

> lchata at ubuntu:/var/log/samba$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
> * Stopping Samba daemons...
>
> start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 5334: No such process
>
>                                     [ OK ]
> * Starting Samba daemons...                                     [ OK ]

And elsewhere in the logs you posted was this:

>[2007/07/21 20:26:40, 0]
>lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(830)
>  bind failed on port 139 socket_addr = 0.0.0.0.
>  Error = Address already in use

I don't know if they are related, but you do need to make sure that
samba is really dead before starting it again; if necessary, use "kill
-TERM <pid>".

> lchata at ubuntu:/var/log/samba$ sudo mount -t smbfs //PAVILION8370/C$ /mnt/C$

That command looks like you want to access your windows data from your
linux machine. In that case, you might as well stop the samba server,
you don't need it.

The mount point you specify has to exist, and "/mnt/C$" doesn't look
right to me. This error message seems to confirm that it doesn't exist:

> Could not resolve mount point /mnt/C$

Do you have, on your linux box, a directory called, literally,

   /mnt/C$

? If not, don't bother creating one, you will confuse everybody :-)
Create a directory called (say) "/mnt/pavilion" and use that as your
mount point instead:

   sudo mount -t smbfs //pavilion8370/C$ /mnt/pavilion

Actually, the "C$" on pavilion looks a bit suspect too. Set up a
specific share on the windows box for testing with. In general, try to
keep share names to straight alphanumerics.

The whole interfaces thing is completely mystifying. I don't think I can
help there :-(

Regards, K.