acpi / thinkpad questions

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sun Jul 22 06:30:55 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 15:40 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> > Have you had dual / secondary monitor running?
>
> Yes, but I had to use the radeon driver rather than the (installed by
> default) ati driver. Let me know by personal mail if you need more help
> than that.

Further to this: To be specific, I couldn't get the second screen going
*at a lower resolution* satisfactorily.

My laptop monitor is 1400x1050, and the external screen is 1280x1024.
The ATI driver displayed a clone image on the external screen that was
very fuzzy because the screen really couldn't handle it. I could get a
1280x1024 image up, but no amount of futzing about could make it fit on
the displayable area of the secondary screen - the bottom centimetre or
so was always missing.

So if you want a clone image or an image with the same resolution as
your laptop screen displayed on the second screen, my experience would
suggest that the ATI drivers will probably be OK. However, my T42 is not
very recent - yours probably has newer hardware, so your case may be
quite different.

You'd think that the card manufacturers would have this BS sorted by
now, wouldn't you?

Regards, K.