Ekiga and video chat with Windows user

Jonathan Kaye jdkaye10 at yahoo.es
Sun Jul 22 04:47:19 UTC 2007

Damien Hull wrote:

> Is there a way to Video chat with a Windows user?
>
> I have the following:
>
>     * Feisty
>     * Ekiga
>     * Ekiga account ( sip )
>     * Web cam that works with the Linux version
>
> I tried the Windows version of Ekiga. The install went well. I was also
> able to make a test call. The problem is the video. I don't see local
> video. All I get is a green screen. I know the camera works because the
> software for the camera has video.
>
> I have done a lot of searching and came up with a big fat "nothing". I
> need a Windows application that does Video chat using the sip protocol.
> Does one exist?
Hi Damien,
I assume you tried the Windows version on a Windows machine ;-) . I've read
reports that the video on Ekiga's beta version for Windows is not great.
You can video conference using Ekiga on linux with Windows users if they
use Windows Netmeeting or Windows Messenger. There's also openwengo
(http://www.openwengo.org/) which has both linux and window's versions.
Cheers,
Jonathan