can't save files

Joel Goguen jtgoguen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 02:38:36 UTC 2007

As your admin user, open Configuration Editor (Applications -> System
Tools -> Configuration Editor or the command gconf-editor if that's
not there) and browse to:
/desktop/gnome/lockdown/
Uncheck everything in there, log out, and log in again.  Can you save
in GEdit now?

On 7/20/07, Jimmy Wu <jimmywu013 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a continuation of a previous problem that never really got solved
> The situation is:
> I have Ubuntu 7.04, with two users - jimmywu (me) with admin rights, and
> guest (an extra that I created) with admin rights disabled
> The strange thing is that while logged on as jimmywu, some of my
> applications (like gedit and evince pdf viewer) won't let me save (not even
> newly created files) - the save option is just grayed out, while others,
> (like all the applications in the Open Office suite as well as AbiWord),
> will let me save files.
> Meanwhile, the guest account has no problems of this kind at all.  All the
> rwx options are configured properly for each user's respective home
> directories, so I don't think that's the problem.  Is there some kind of
> hidden/obscure configuration file that might be messed up?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jimmy

Joel Goguen
http://jgoguen.net/