Need !help! with Reiserfs problem

Charles Marcus tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri Jul 20 14:41:39 UTC 2007

Charles Marcus, on 7/19/2007 4:11 PM, said the following:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply...
>
> Peter Jakobi, on 7/19/2007 2:36 PM, said the following:
>>> Every subdirectory was fine, except the /tmp - when I tried ls -U in it,
>>> my SSH session went into never-never land.
>>>
>>> I repeated this while monitoring with top in one console, and tailing
>>> /var/log/messages in another. There was nothing unusual in the logs, and
>>> the ls process never used more than 5% of CPU, and 2-3% RAM, although
>
>> It's not necessarily a fs problem.
>
> Well, that would be good news... :)

Ok, just to close this out - it was definitely not a FS issue... :)

I don't know how many files there were in there, but it must have been
well over a hundred thousand...

I tested a rm -ri tmp, and it descended into the directroy just fine,
and started deleteing files, so I did rm -r tmp, and let it run for a
few seconds the ctrl-c'd it, and ls a-l showed that the directory had
gotten a tiny bit smaller...

So, it took about an hour (!) for rm -r tmp to finish, but it finished
without a problem. No wonder ls was taking so long - and I'm guessing it
wasn't locked up or anything, it was just working on traversing all of
the files in there.