SSH forwarding of X question

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jul 19 15:11:59 UTC 2007

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Brian McKee wrote:
>>
>> On 18/07/07, Bart Silverstrim  wrote:
>>> I am on one computer in my physically local network (for example,
>>> Superman).  I want to log into a system in another network named
>>> Spider-Man.  Both are running Ubuntu 7.04.
>>>
>>> ssh -X -C myusername at spider-man-network.com
>>>
>>> I log in, execute mozilla-firefox.  After a pause, firefox pops up.  go
>>> to a web page.  Go to file->print.  The printers available to
>>> Spider-Man, I get the printers installed on Superman here.
>>
>> Boy - you had me going there for a minute.   I just tried it and
>> that's not what happens when I try it.  I get the printers available
>> on the remote machine...   I can't get what you describe.
>>
>> Dunno if this helps though....
>
> Oookay.  So what I thought should happen, *should* happen.  But it's not.
>
> I guess the question is, why...?  What would intercept the printer?
>
> I guess the next thing to test is file opening to make sure the X
> programs I'm bringing up are actually working properly with locality
> there...that it's launching remote X programs.

Can you try with another _properly named_ host?  iirc, hyphens are not legal
in a domain name, and while that restriction is generally ignored by
everybody, you can't guarantee proper behaviour when you're working across
a network, if something along the way _does_ apply strict enforcement of
the rules.
--
derek