SSH forwarding of X question

Brett Johnson brett at hp.com
Wed Jul 18 20:55:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 13:18 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> ssh -X -C myusername at spider-man-network.com
>
> I log in, execute mozilla-firefox.  After a pause, firefox pops up.  go
> to a web page.  Go to file->print.  The printers available to
> Spider-Man, I get the printers installed on Superman here.

The printer issue is likely a red-herring :o)

You're likely already running a local copy of firefox on "superman".
The firefox script will look for a local copy of itself on whatever X
server your DISPLAY points to.  If one is running, it will open the URL
on that firefox instance, rather than running a remote instance and
displaying it.  So, despite running the "mozilla-firefox" script on
"Spider-man", the URL actually was opened by the firefox-bin instance
that was already running on "Superman".  Does that make sense?

--
Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com>