Ubuntu Feisty Music Playback Errors

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 18 01:49:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:12:00 -0700 (PDT)
nestor fregoso <gueritu at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I just recently installed Feisty Fawn on my friend's Dell p4.
> After much searching and many hours of going to this website and that,
> I've gone over the top. My problem is that whenever I try to play a music
> file, no matter the format or program, it always seems to skip or repeat
> sections of the song.

Can you give more information? For example. what programs are you using,
what sound card /chip does your machine use, and so on.

If you open a terminal ( Applications - Accessories - Terminal ) and type

lspci | grep audio  <hit the enter key >

you should see a line that tells you what the sound card is.

Have you read
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sound   ?

That could be quite helpful.

> I've already tried the IRC chat, but 1)they were
> really rude and

Sorry to  hear that - usually people on #ubuntu try to be friendly and
helpful. Perhaps you were there at a bad time ...

> 2) no one paid attention to my questions.

The channel is often busy - it has over 1000 people in it regularly.
Patience is sometimes required.

> So I send this
> e-mail hoping that it would fix the problem I have before I have to return
the computer.

As suggested above, perhaps you could read the help page I linked, and
give the list more information about your hardware, the programs you
tried, and how you went about playing the files concerned.

By the way, your mail client appears not to be wrapping your text - this
should be easy to fix, but I don't see an identifier in the headers to give
a clue as to what you might be using.

Peter