Can't login

Joel Goguen jtgoguen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 17:04:50 UTC 2007

It's a user identifier.  You have a username, but Linux works with
UIDs.  /etc/passwd is a way to map usernames to UIDs so you don't need
to care what your UID is.

Try this.  You're at a terminal to use elinks, so exit elinks and give
this command, entering your password when prompted:

Replace <username> with your username, then see if you can log in normally.

On 7/17/07, Matthew Voss <matthew.lns1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, but what is a uid?
> Goo
>
> On 7/17/07, Smoot Carl-Mitchell <smoot at tic.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 08:45 -0700, Matthew Voss wrote:
> > > I can't login using the gui. Right now I am very glad for elinks
> > > termial web browser. The error message is something like this: GDM did
> > > not write your authorizaition file. I any event you can not log in.
> > > Please contact your sever administrator.
> >
> > Sounds like a permissions problem with your home directory or you do not
> > have a home directory for the login account. Check the home directory
> > entry in /etc/passwd and be sure it is owned by the correct uid and
> > allows that uid to create files in the directory.
> >
> > The authorization file is called .Xauthority and lives in your home
> > directory.  You might check its permissions as well.
> > --
> > Smoot Carl-Mitchell
> > System/Network Architect
> > email: smoot at tic.com