MMS streams

Lee Tambiah leetambiah at ossgeeks.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 08:12:03 UTC 2007

On 7/15/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> At my university we watch lectures in Windows Media Player via MMS
> streams. The streams are over 2GB in size, so saving the entire stream
> is not an option. I need a player that will play the stream, including
> Fast Forward and Rewind functions. Is there a linux player that can do
> that? I have had no luck with mplayer or vlc.
>
> This is the output of Mplayer:
> [dotancohen at localhost ~]$ mplayer
> mms://video9.technion.ac.il/Courses/Solid-Mech1/Solid%20Mechanics%201%20-
> 01.wmv
> MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6,
> Model: 15, Stepping: 6)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
> Can't init input joystick
> mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
> control.
>
> Playing
> mms://video9.technion.ac.il/Courses/Solid-Mech1/Solid%20Mechanics%201%20-
> 01.wmv.
> STREAM_ASF, URL:
> mms://video9.technion.ac.il/Courses/Solid-Mech1/Solid%20Mechanics%201%20-
> 01.wmv
> Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET6...
> Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: video9.technion.ac.il
> Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET...
> Connecting to server video9.technion.ac.il[132.68.1.27]: 1755...
> connection timeout
> Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET6...
> Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: video9.technion.ac.il
> Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET...
> Connecting to server video9.technion.ac.il[132.68.1.27]: 80...
>
> It seems as though it cannot find the server, however Windows Media
> Player 11 in VMWare loads and displays that video just fine. There is
> no AU sniffing at the server, I checked that with the university's
> computer department.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://lyricslist.com/
> http://what-is-what.com/

I have to say that the ideal solution is your university not using Windows
Media for this! Why? Well they are an education facility, Students may use
Linux (as you do) and Macs (alternative platforms). It would make more sense
for the university to deploy a solution which runs on all Platforms, now OGG
would be nice, but if they want the proprietry route why the heck didn't
they go for realplayer.

This is simular to the IBBC Player which is now being challenged by the open
source community, I would also complain to the university too! Content is
for all not just for Micorosft Windows Users. Microsoft will not make it
work on other platforms as it is there way to create a lock in.

You can get some Windows Media content to play using the VLC and MPlayer,
but much of it fails . Its a pain in the ass but the real blame here is the
University deploying a windows centric solution in the first place!
Typical.......

Regards

Flossgeek

--
" linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste"