Install flash 9

Lee Tambiah leetambiah at ossgeeks.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 07:58:11 UTC 2007

On 7/17/07, Allan Valeriano <allvaleriano at gmail.com> wrote:
> Still receiving the error:
> "Package flashplugin-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by
another
> package."
> even after enabling the multiverse repository
> =/
>
> Any help?
>
> Allan

Hello,

As you having issue with the non-free plugin, (as I did once, it installed
but didnt run), the manually install it. Fortuanately it is easy to install
manually:-

1. Obtain the Flash download the .tar.gz format and download to your
Desktop. You can download from here:-

Flash Download Page<http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=Linux&P3_Browser_Version=Netscape4>

2. Extract the tar.gz on the desktop and you should then have a folder, lets
presume the folder is named flashPlayer (your name will be different).

3. Open a terminal and lets go to the directory:-

cd Desktop/flashPlayer

then do a list command:-

ls

The ls command should print out the directories contents, i.e what files the
directory contains.

4. You should see a file named "libflashplayer.so", we need to move that
file to /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.

5. To move the file still in your terminal do the following command:-

sudo mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins

6. If you have any Firefox instances open close them down so Firefox isnt
running, then re-launch firefox and flash should be running fine!

Hope this helps...

Regards

Flossgeek