Locking down Ubuntu

Freddie Ruddick frederific at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 16 21:13:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 16:15 -0400, Adric Mitchell wrote:
> Would anyone happen know a good way to lock down Ubuntu? I am trying
> to achieve basically the same thing that products like DeepFreeze and
> Clean Slate do. Thanks!

If you make a new user account, of type "Unpriviledged", they can't fsck
about with any system settings, outside of their home directory.

You can also use pessulus (sudo apt-get install pessulus) to further
lock things down. (Not allowing screen lock, stopping them moving panels
around, saving to disk, printing, etc)

I imagine that it'd be easy enough to write a script that clears any
changes made to the user's home directory and settings on reboot.

HTH

Freddie