fsck fails on USB disk and interrupts boot process

Roby electricalsciences at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 16 21:01:21 UTC 2007

Christoph Bier wrote:

> Roby schrieb am 16.07.2007 15:29:
>
>> Christoph Bier wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I installed an USB disk with a (not encrypted) ext2 file system to
>>> my wife's laptop running Feisty. Now, every boot process is
>>> interrupted by an fsck failure regarding the USB disk---with the USB
>>> disk connected or not. If the USB disk is connected I can run fsck
>>> manually (not with the UUID but the corresponding device ->
>>> /dev/sdb1) without any problems and with "init 6" I can complete the
>>> boot process.
>>>
>>> Here's the failure message:
>>>
>>> Checking Filesystems ...
>>> fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
>>> fsck.ext2: Unable to resolve 'UUID =
>>> 26ccdf8f-c3d9-4093-804f-71787dd2a5c4'
>>> fsck died with exit status 8
>>>
>>> The UUID affiliates to the USB disk.
>>>
>>> Why does auto fsck fail? Why is fsck run even if the USB disk is not
>>> connected resp. not powered up? How can I fix this in order that
>>> Ubuntu boots again without an interruption?
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Christoph
>
>> Is that device listed in /etc/fstab?  If so and the <pass> digit is not
>> zero, fsck will try to test it regardless.
>
> You're right! I made this mistake in fstab. Thanks!
>
>> Try $ sudo /lib/udev/vol_id /dev/sdb1
>> ... Are you *absolutely* certain the UUID is correct?
>
> Yes, I am. But I used blkid ... I'll try vol_id later at home.
>
>> I prefer to use disk labels ( /dev/disk/by-label/<label> ).
>
> If disk labels are set are they automatically used?
>
> Best
> Christoph
blkid will give the same result.

Here's how to use a disk label (as root).

Label the drive:
# tune2fs -L usb-drive  /dev/sdb1

Add it to /etc/fstab:
/dev/disk/by-label/usb-drive  /media/usb-drive  ext2  user  0 0

Create the mount point:
# mkdir /media/usb-drive

You can manually mount/umount it as /media/usb-drive. I suspect Ubuntu will
automount it and call it by the label name.  Sidux does.