HP LaserJet 4050 help

Wade Smart wade at wadesmart.com
Sun Jul 15 21:42:23 UTC 2007

Wade Smart wrote:
> SteVe Cook wrote:
>
>> Wade Smart wrote:
>>
>>> Ok. Stupid me. I got it.
>>> wadesmart at wadesmart:~$ echo "Printer Test" /dev/lp0
>>> Printer Test /dev/lp0
>>>
>>> Did that tell us anything? It just echoed to the screen.
>>>

>> That will just echo it to the screen. We're trying to send it to the
>> printer.
>>
>> Sorry, I forgot you had to be 'root' to do it.
>>
>> So
>>
>> # sudo su
>>
>> then
>>
>> # echo "Printer test" > /dev/lp0
>> # echo "^L" > /dev/lp0
>>
>> This should print 'Printer test' and feed a sheet of paper.
>>
>> You could just do the last line which will just feed a sheet of paper
>> if you don't want to waste any.
>>
>> SteVe
>>
> 07152007 1607 GMT-6 DST
>
> Ok. Even with trying su I get Permission Denied.
>
> wade

07152007 1630 GMT-6 DST

Ok. I found this command:
wadesmart at wadesmart:~$ lpinfo -v
network socket
network beh
network bluetooth
direct hpfax
direct hp:/par/HP_LaserJet_4050_Series?device=/dev/parport0
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
direct canon:/dev/lp0
direct epson:/dev/lp0
direct scsi
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
network smb

so I tried the command you gave with /dev/parport0 instead of lp0.
Nothing. I tried it after doing sudo -i and received Invalid argument.

So I tried lp0 again after sudo -i and not I dont have anything echoing
to the screen but, I also do not have any printer activity.

Well, I am seeing life!!
Opps, too soon.
Im seeing, "Data Received"  and "Processing Job" but nothing is happening.
Just for kicks I did a Factory Reset of Settings on the printer (since
it was given to me) and as soon as I hit the button for echo "^L"
....etc I see "Processing Job" but still no action.

Wade