HP LaserJet 4050 help

Wade Smart wade at wadesmart.com
Sun Jul 15 19:03:38 UTC 2007

Wade Smart wrote:
> SteVe Cook wrote:
>> Wade Smart wrote:
>>> 07152007 1030 GMT-6 DST
>>>
>>> I was just given a HP LaserJet 4050. Its great. But, I cant get it
>>> to run on Fiesty. Its connected via parallel cable. I clicked on
>>> Printers under System, clicked New Printer. It found it and
>>> installed. When I clicked Print Test Page nothing happened. It is
>>> seeing the configuration of the printer but isnt printing. In the
>>> Wiki someone said it was working under 5.04 so I know it works. The
>>> hpijs files are already installed.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>>
>> Have you tried printing any thing else.  My Panasonic wont print the
>> test page but prints everything from open office.
>>
>> SteVe
> 07152007 1059 GMT-6 DST
>
> Just tried. Nothing. Right now the printer is in PowerSave mode. It
> didnt wake up at all. I think it has to do with the parallel
> connection. Here
> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/laser.html   it says
> that the LaserJEt4050 with version 0.9.5 doesnt have parallel
> connectivity. However, in synaptic under hplip 1.7.3-0ubuntu1 it says
> USB, JetDirect(netork) and parallel-port devices are supported. So, Im
> not sure.
>
> wade

07152007 1400 GMT-6 DST

I found hpoj in synaptic that said it works with parallel laserjet
printers. So Im installing it and its running its installation routine
and it says,
Probe for parallel-connected devices: y/n = i push yes.
None found, is the result.
So I try another printer, it finds my inkjet on parallel.

But the odd thing is, when I installed the printer using the printer
menu it DID see it and correctly got the driver for it. So it had to see
it across the parallel connection.

Wade