Req comment on Dell Inspiron 1420 D

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Jul 15 17:52:27 UTC 2007

tony B wrote:

> I'm planning to buy a laptop within the next few days, and partly
> because Dell is offering Ubuntu Linux I thought I'd support them in
> return and buy one of their machines.  I'm just looking for a general
> purpose machine that I can take with me when I travel -- which is not
> frequently. Use it for storing pictures, internet access and a few other
> things. The Inspiron 1420N looks pretty good to me, but I've never had
> a laptop, so I'm not knowledgeable about what to look for. Any one have
> any comments on this machine?

> Could someone verify that the faster disk -- 7200 RPM versus 5400 RPM
> -- would use up the battery faster?

Don't know.

> Also, what about getting the larger 9-cell versus the standard 6-cell
> battery?  I have no clue what duration to expect from either of these
> batteries.

50% more from the 9-cell :-)  Through a succession of Dell's I'd say they
design their standard batteries to give 3 hours life when new (of course, I
got a replacement after their last battery recall and it wasn't much better
than 2 hours! - still that was 2 hours better than the 3yr old one I was
using).  A battery typically lasts about 3 years.

> And finally, I figured I'd get a Logitek wireless mouse they list as an
> option.

Never again will I buy a wireless mouse.  Besides the need for batteries,
how often do you need to use a mouse further away from the computer than
the wire will stretch?  How often do you drop your mouse?  I shorten up the
mouse cable so that if I knock it off the desk it can't reach the floor.
Saves considerably on wear and tear!

> Not sure that I'd care for one of those scratch pad cursor
> controls.  The description says it requires Mac or MS OS.  I'm assuming
> omitting Linux was an oversight.

Description of what?  The mouse?  That's not an oversight - it'll work fine,
but they clearly have no interest in supporting Linux.

> I may have to break down and call
> them rather than order over the internet.

Good luck.

> Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

Dell has steadfastly refused to even respond to requests for service under
my extended service contract - next day on site service has taken six
months so far.  Nice of them to support Ubuntu, but that isn't going to be
enough to get me to go back to them...
--
derek