Tips for slow internet access user

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 22:41:08 UTC 2007

On 7/14/07, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at cbn.net.id> wrote:

> Hello all,
> Internet connection in my country is quite expensive, so not everybody has
> broadband.
> I am a RH/Suse users for so many years and now I've been exploring Ubuntu.
> The
> experience so far has been awesome! I like it.
> However, since Ubuntu is a single CD distro, many times it needs to
> download
> additional packages from the internet. Fine, I can do this from the office
> because it has fast internet access.
>
> However,
> I have a desktop PC at home. I want to install Feisty on it. My question
> is:
> Can I "use/transfered" the packages that I have downloaded using synaptic
> on
> my notebook AT the OFFICE for my desktop PC at HOME? How? I notice that
> downloaded packages are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives? I understand
> that
> we can use the command dpkg to install from file, but what if a package
> needs
> lots of dependencies?
>
> Any tips are appreciated. Thank you.
> --
> Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | Linux tutorial
> http://linux2.arinet.org
> 9:43pm up 11:31, 2.6.18.2-34-default GNU/Linux
> Let's use OpenOffice. http://www.openoffice.org

A method I use before when I am using a dial-up modem.
Install a local proxy server that will cache all the files on the website
you access, and later get them locally instead of redownloading them in the
internet. It will significantly improve your browsing experience.

---
Help me get a computer, please visit
https://www.fundable.org/groupactions/groupaction.2007-07-12.2616673113
and make a pledge. Thank You.