Cannot install GRUB fatal error

Matthew Clarke mj3clark at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 19:46:12 UTC 2007

I didn't have exactly the same problem as you but: I do have a similar
setup and managed to get ubuntu installed on sdb.  But in order to get
it to work I needed to put the /boot partition on sda.  you can do
this in the manual partitioning part of the install.

apparently some BIOSs must have the bootloader on the first drive in
the system (and also at the beginning of the drive).

HTH

MC

On 7/12/07, freeninad at gmail.com <freeninad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>  I have a new Core 2 duo system e6300 with 2 SATA HDD of 80gigs each and
> 1gig of RAM.
> I have a intel DG965RY chipset. I downloaded the ubuntu feisty iso and
> booted. I was surprised and amazed at the improvements over earlier versions
> Ubuntu had made.
> I decided to install it on my 2nd HDD. The install went very smoothly but
> after completing 94%
> I got an error message "Cannot install GRUB to 'sdb' This is a fatal error."
> When I clicked ok the whole installation stopped.
> Questions
> 1.I mounted the drive and saw that ubuntu has been installed... but do not
> know what the remaining 6% was as it aborts at 94%.
> 2. I wan to boot ubuntu from Windows bootloader and do not want to install
> GRUB on MBR
> How do i do it from a live cd. Ubuntu shows the disks as sda and sdb.
>
> Thanks
> Ninad

Matthew Clarke