Feisty unable to find SATA drives

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Sat Jul 14 06:48:07 UTC 2007

I have a new computer on which I am trying to use Ubuntu. It has a SATA
controller which lspci identifies as "IDE Intel 82801GB SATA Storage
Controller" (identifier 27c0).

The Feisty LiveCD is unable to find any drives attached to the SATA
controller, neither the DVD burner nor a hard drive.

The hard drive is known good: it can be read and written to seemingly
with no errors using a SuSE Enterprise 10 Server CD in Rescue mode
(kernel on that CD is 2.6.16). GRUB can also get the bios to boot a
kernel from it, but once booted, Feisty cannot see anything on the
controller.

Is this a known problem with the Feisty kernel, or are there any other
thoughts?

-Mary