Encrypted filesystem image

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jul 14 02:49:31 UTC 2007

JD wrote:

>> You might also be interested in the newly released Scramdisk for
>> Linux...
>>
>> http://sd4l.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> It's a nice GUI application, and allegedly compatible with Truecrypt
>> volumes, however in my experience it won't handle volumes larger than
>> 2GB. That's just from a cursory examination however.
>
> I looked through some of the latest code on the forge for this
> project, and didn't see anywhere that documented (either by verbage
> or by code restriction) the 2Gb Volume Limit.  Was this from personal
> trial-and-error, or through some other source that you came by this

Initially from trial and error. I have a "DVD sized" Truecrypt
container I use for general purpose encrypted storage so I can back
everything up in one easy burn. ScramDisk can't mount it. I've also
tried creating similar sized "native" SD volumes using both VFAT and
EXT3, and even though it will allow you to enter sizes over 2GB, the
volumes always end up only 2GB in size and SD crashes with a "File
size limit exceeded" error to stdout you can see if you run it from a
terminal. The resulting 2147483647 byte containers are corrupt
apparently, as SD pukes an "Invalid argument" dialog upon trying to
mount them after restarting.

FWIW, that's installed from the latest Ubuntu .deb at Sourceforge not
built from source. I haven't really dug into the problem that far
because Truecrypt "just works" for me. I haven't tried all the various
file system and encryption/hash options or anything.

I did Google for more information and remember coming up with a couple
obscure pages documenting the 2GB problem/limit for SD4L, but alas, I
neglected to save those links and I'm too lazy to look them up again. My
apologies for that. :(

> information? (I really like truecrypt, but the old forcefield gui
> gave up the ghost a while back - Dapper, I think - and, short of
> re-writing it myself, I was hoping to find a decent gui for tc
> volumes...)

Scramdisk is fine as GUI's go, but I don't find running Truecrypt from
the command line all that daunting. During volume creation it pretty
much asks you for anything you don't specify on the command line, and
mounting/unmounting volumes is trivial to script if you want life
easy. ;)

--
     \|/             Don't let it end like this, tell
   -(O O)-                them I said something.